Below is the Job Description:
The Kabul Carpet Export Center (KCEC) is dedicated to bringing the finest Afghan handmade rugs to international buyers around the world. The KCEC was started 2.5 years ago through financial support from USAID with the objectives of increasing job creation for Afghan weavers by way of increasing Afghan rug exports and sales, all collectively helping to create strong recognition for “made in Afghanistan” rugs. In Afghanistan, the KCEC works with almost all manufacturers to source the highest quality handmade rugs. The Global Director of KCEC Sales and Marketing will be hired by KCEC implementing partner, the OXUS Consulting Group LLC, a Washington DC based management advisory firm.
The principal objective of the Global Director of KCEC Sales and Marketing is to drive the sales of KCEC rugs, maximize market share and growth. The Director will lead and manage the direction of the sales team as well as serve as chief collaborator in execution of sales programs and events. The Director will be responsible for oversight of all KCEC sales channels/customer types such as: Ecommerce (B2B and B2C), Virtual Sales Events, Retailers, Designers (Residential and Commercial), and Direct to Consumer from KCEC rug gallery and elsewhere. The Director will also be involved in advising on popular styles, designs and trends in carpet preferences/fashion. Moreover, the Director will be involved in setting pricing strategy for various target segments for rugs. Work will require travel to Afghanistan as well as other KCEC international markets (North America, Europe, Asia, etc) including trade shows and exhibitions (i.e. Domotex in Germany, etc).
The ideal Global Director of KCEC Sales and Marketing will have 15 + years of relevant experience in key areas of the carpet business and trade. Preference will be given to candidates with in-depth understanding of the carpet production cycle and business from end to end: starting from the process of selecting, dyeing and weaving the wool to washing/finishing and completing carpet to importing, marketing, distributing, and selling the carpet. Experience and certification in rug appraisal as well as up to date knowledge of latest styles and trends in handmade carpets is highly preferred.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Build, maintain, manage, and develop a network of distributors, agents, retailers, and partners across the USA and globally.
- Oversee all commercial requests. Sales channels of responsibility include: E-Commerce, Retail, Wholesale, Direct to Consumer and Direct to Business (hospitality industry, etc).
- Manage and follow up directly with all accounts.
- Maintain key customer relationships and develop and implement strategies for expanding the company’s customer base.
- Review customer activity, anticipate consumer needs, and improve customer satisfaction;
- Outline and manage sales budgets.
- Manage overall sales process, set appropriate metrics for sales funnel management
- Develop pricing, pricing policies and strategies, including volume discounts and terms and conditions, for customers and channel partners.
- Set quarterly and annual sales goals and motivating the sales team to achieve company’s goals.
- Create sales reports and provide feedback to the leadership team at company meetings.
- Identify needed improvements and gaps in current KCEC sales plans and develop remedial strategies to achieve sales goals.
- Organize and manage online sales via different platforms such as Article, Brooklinen, The Citizenry, Macy’s, Sears, Walmart, and Wayfair.
- Manages, organizes, and coordinates Virtual Sales Events utilizing the KCEC website located at: afghanrugs.us
- Oversee marketing communications including branding, public relations, advertising, white papers, trade shows, seminars, and events.
- Define and direct marketing campaigns for demand creation, lead generation and for lead tracking and management.
- Develop and track metrics and success criteria for all marketing programs and activities.
- Lead social media efforts to collect collateral materials, conduct market research, and develop website design and content in support of high visibility/access to company materials, products or information.
- Participate in setting up and developing platforms and tools to support the business in the US;
- Initiate innovative approaches to hand-woven rug promotion.
- Monitor the market and competitor products and activities and provide detailed sales forecasting;
- In agreement with upper management, will come up with strategic suggestions on how to invest in order to grow brand awareness and actual business.
- Attend trade shows in the USA and internationally with distribution partners as needed.
- Participate in oversight of KCEC US rug gallery, warehouse, inventory management/control, and product shipping.
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights, and weekends.
- Master’s Degree in a business-related field (or textiles) may be advantageous; and,
- Prior Work Experience
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in a Rug sales leadership position;
- Previous sales experience in sales, marketing or business development for luxury textile products, interior design and/or fine arts;
- Previous experience with industry leaders like Obeetee, Amer, ABC will be considered as advantage;
Understanding of carpet industry in the U.S. and globally with Afghanistan country specific knowledge is a plus.
III. Skills and Abilities
General Skills and Abilities:
- Great strategic planning, organizational, and creative thinking skills;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Organizational skills, supervisory leadership, and self-motivation to manage an expanding business;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Availability to travel across the US and internationally as required;
- Ability to perform essential job functions listed above.
- Technical Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with Afghan handmade rugs would be highly preferred;
- Technical knowledge of the carpet/ handmade rugs market;
- Capacity to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical; Attention to details; problem solving; critical thinking; ability to understand complex concepts;
Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills;
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with the CEO, Senior Vice Presidents, managers, functional leaders, senior advisors, consultants, staff, and clients;
- Inspire our team to live by our ‘RIGHT’ values at every given opportunity (e.g., Responsive, Inclusive, Get it Right, Hard Working, Trusted);
- Ability to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful and professional manner;
- Ability to Motivate, coach, and support a future Sales Team;
- Provide an excellent customer experience, ensuring that every interaction is enjoyable;
- Easily build rapport with customers and support the team in their customer interactions; and,
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational and time management skills.
Place of Work:
The Washington, DC, Capital Region with travel to key markets in the USA, Canada, Asia, Europe, and production centers in Afghanistan.
Will report directly to the OXUS CEO who will provide periodic formal performance reviews as it relates to fulfillment of requirements outlined in the job functions.
OXUS will negotiate a fair market compensation package based on a combination of salary and performance (commission).